5 Ways to Maintain a Healthy Weight During the Summer Party Season

Pool parties, barbeques, tropical vacations, beach days — all of these are quintessentially summertime activities. With all of the fun events that summer brings, it can be difficult to maintain your health-related goals, but we’re here to help. 

1. Keep Moderation in Mind 

Fortunately, your summertime eating habits don’t have to be all-or-nothing  — moderation is the key to success for many people. This means that about 80% of the time, trying to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and healthy fats, while the other 20% — like that BBQ or pool party coming up — can contain sugary treats, decadent desserts, or salty snacks.

2. Shop Seasonal 

What’s the difference between a summertime, farm-fresh tomato and a tomato from the dead of winter? About a thousand-fold difference in flavor! Seasonal fruits and veggies will taste infinitely better than out-of-season produce, which will then increase the odds that you’ll actually want to eat your healthy salads, smoothies, and slices of fruit. 

3. Hydration Hero 

Although it’s simple, we often forget just how much water we need to drink — especially in the hot months of summer. Try to always have a reusable bottle of water with you, and aim to consume at least half of your body weight in ounces every day. 

4. Intuitive Movement

Rather than forcing yourself to a 5 A.M. gym class that you despise, or pounding the pavement with yet another too-hot run, exercising intuitively over the summer can help you maintain a healthy weight without feeling like you’re doing work. This may look like rollerblading around a lake, going to a dance class, or jumping rope in the backyard. Try whatever sounds fun to you!

5. Simple Swaps

Lastly, simple swaps are one of the easiest ways to maintain healthy habits over the summer. Try swapping out mayonnaise for Greek yogurt or hummus in dips, grilling chicken kebabs instead of hot dogs, drinking sparkling water instead of soda, or snacking on fiber-rich popcorn instead of chips.

You may also like

Subscribe to our blog
Subscribe to our newsletter. We promise we will never spam you.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.